Our pupils learn to read and write using the Read Write Inc. Phonics Programme.
The programme is for:
- Pupils in Reception to Year 2 who are learning to read and write.
- Any pupils in Years 2, 3 and 4 who need to catch up rapidly.
- Readers in Years 5 and 6 who require additional phonics instruction follow Read Write Inc. Fresh Start to give them the skills they need to become independent readers.
The teaching of phonics using the Read Write Inc. Phonics programme helps pupils learn how to:
- Decode letter-sound correspondences quickly and effortlessly, using their phonic
- knowledge and skills
- Read common exception words on sight
- Understand what they read
- Read aloud with fluency and expression
- Spell quickly and easily by segmenting the sounds in words
- Acquire good letter formation skills.
Children take home books to read that are appropriate for their level of development from our selection of Read, Write, Inc’ ‘book bag books’ and from our from our well-stocked library. Children can also access the ‘book bag books’ online books at Oxford Owls.
You can find out lots more about how your child learns and how you can support them on the Ruth Miskin YouTube channel along with other useful Read, Write Inc resources below.